So, a few weeks ago was PCM16 – A 3 day blur of beer, tech talk, beer and sight seeing in Antwerp, Belgium.
Before I give my view – do make sure you read others, there were 2 streams and so it was not possible to see everything! So, the others I’m aware of:
Happy to add others! Actually I can’t even find the live blog link right now, but you’ll find it on Know.bi somewhere!
So how was the event? Well as always every year has a different theme. This year it was clearly all about the product. And it’s not just webspoon! There have been a slew of product upgrades in the last year, all very interesting.
And now the talks:
Pedro – Pentaho 7
- Released in time for the event!
- Analytics anywhere
- This is a progression along that path
- Hadoop security improvements (only CDH for now)
- Single server in technology – now to make the product singular to the users.
Tom – Devops
- Well we already saw this at PLUG!
- Mentioned use of bigtop distro.
- How is it nagios still looks as shite now as it did when it came out 10+ years ago? 🙂
- PDI Charms available, BA being worked on (Juju)
Nelson/Miguel – Snapshots in hadoop
- Definition discussion on “in” and “out” labels.
- The approach only works if you can identify your “last” event in a chain – Unfortunately that’s not always possible.
Duarte – Viz API
- v3 of API is nearly done
- Lots of very interesting tech details – But the gist of it is it will become easier to just “plug in” your own visualisations
- Not clear how many people *do* build their own visualisations though!
- Probably be in the platform in 7.1, analyzer will switch shortly after
- Good to see improvement and hard work going into the visualisation part of the product
Joao – CBF2
- now shell script. (hmm!)
- usual benefits of cbf – quick switching etc.
- Deploys all your code – not sure if the JUJU charm does this?
- CE and EE
Jens – PDI7
- Metadata injection!
- 11 more steps to be supported in 7.1
- Filter rows uses the same xml from the KTR to define the condition to inject. Cunning workaround to a tricky problem!
- 3 phases of metadata injection
- Simple bog standard example
- Data flow
- 2 phase
- JSON performance has improved again – you dont have to pass the massive blob of json onto the next step
- COPY AND PASTE BUG FIXED!!!!!! This got a huge cheer
- Labs – team are working with hitachi labs too. Exciting times
- In just 2-3 weeks since unit testing was shown at PLUG it’s moved on massively and is now fully usable!
- 300+ team / community using pdi at hitachi
- PDI Spreading wildly.
Hiromu Mota – Webspoon
- Hurrah, web based spoon is here
- Amazing architecture solution – Essentially just run spoon on the server, then you don’t have to maintain another UI
Julien + gang
- Showed a handy SSO solution for embedded analytics.
Wael – data science!
- Same as PLUG
- Everything we do as ETL guys, will be for the data scientists in the future!
Bart / @rvanbruggen
- Great talk showcasing neo4j, and beer